dsf logo October 23, 2014, 6:51am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Food and diet  ›  Lager
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Lager Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
MARKPRIOR
May 27, 2011, 11:27am Report to Moderator
Didnt quite know where to put this,

anyway as ive said before on the weekends i like a drink, i cant stand spirits so whats the best lager / beer from a diabetic point of view, tried google and it didnt really say much
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ziggy
May 27, 2011, 1:17pm Report to Moderator

Ever feel like you're a cartoon character?
Hi Mark

Various kinds of alcohol and their associated carbyness (or not) are discussed in THIS thread. Hope it helps.

ø¤º º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Z i g g y º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºº¤ø

ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008
Nov 10 Total Chol - 5.2, HDL - 1.48, LDL - 3.31, Trigs - 0.89
May 11 Total Chol - 6.7   , HDL - 1.55, LDL - 3.89   , Trigs - 2.75    

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 1 - 44
Pattidevans
May 27, 2011, 2:16pm Report to Moderator

It's ONLY diabetes. There are many worse things
Administrator Group
You know really Sir Ziglaw, I think we should appoint you the "Forum Historian", joining Moby as the "Forum Bard" and Elise as the "Official Pasta taster"

Mark - here's a comparison chart of beers http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14302.asp

I confess I like a lager from time to time.  We just bought a box of San Mig and that seems to come out OKish.  When we were in Australia there was a low carb lager that was delicious and didn't touch my BGs at all.  I can't now recall what it was called - Blonde something - I referred to it as "Bottled Blonde".

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 3:11pm Report to Moderator

Red wine is probably the drink of choice: it is certainly lowest in carbs and highest in antioxidants: in particular resveratrol.   I switch from brown beer to lager, because it was lower in carbs, but I'm not sure there is any difference.  I do find premium lagers can raise BG slightly, compared to run of the mill lagers which keep it constant or lower it.  Pils advertise all the sugar turns to alcohol, but I'm not sure it is any different from plain lager.  According to the USDA database, beer, whether lager or brown beer contains no sugar, nor any fibre nor starch.  But something does not stack up because it lists 4g per 100ml of carbohydrate.  If its not Fibre, sugar or starch, I guess it must be sugar alcohol ([url=Oligosaccharide]oligosaccharide[/url]).  There are definitely some present, but whether this accounts for all the carb content, I'm unclear.
Beer also contains Xanthohumol, an anticancer substance and antioxidant.
BEERS WHICH ARE PURE:
-British REAL ALE, favourites include: Samuel Smiths, Timothy Taylor, Deuchars IPA, Black Sheep...
-GERMAN IMPORTED BEER - anything quoting the "reinheitsgebot" / purity law. This excludes some Holsten Pils beer which is brewed in Luton and (surprise, surprise) isn't brewed to the Reinheitsgebot!
-All CZECH IMPORTED BEER. The Czechs decided to, centuries ago, brew all of their beer to the Reinheitsgebot. As a mark of respect.
-Heineken (brewed in Holland)
-Grolsch Weizen - a nice, new Weissbier, brewed in Holland and to the Reinheitsgebot. This beer won World Beer of the Year Award for best Wheat Beer.
-New BECKS VIER. This is pure. Brewed in Germany and canned in this country. (they didn't trust us to brew it too!)
-Sam Smith's "Alpine Lager" - an independent brewery in North Yorkshire. They only brew their own beers and the Alpine Lager is brewed with entirely natural ingredients.

Tips: enjoy alcohol in moderation, eat first or drink with meals, olive oil protects your stomach (ideal for those silly parties where they drink first and eat later)

T2 metformin   A1c 10.2% FBG 23mmol at dx Nov 2000
Min A1c 5.5%.  Max A1c 6.9%
Cholesterol 5.6, LDL 3.2, HDL 1.22
Keep searching because the truth will set you free!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 3:35pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Pattidevans

Mark - here's a comparison chart of beers http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14302.asp

Patti, this is mainly a list of American beers, not a great deal of use down your local pub.
http://www.carbs-information.com/carbs-in-beer.htm lists contain more "Brit" Lagers

You are thinking of "Pure Blonde", but carb content of beer is not that relevant: it's the alcohol you have to watch.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/myth-of-the-lowcarb-beer/2008/02/02/1201801094691.html

DAB (Sainsbury's and a few others) is a good low carb beer if one really wants one.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 44
MARKPRIOR
May 27, 2011, 3:38pm Report to Moderator
ahhh black sheep, i tried this just the other month in a little pub while camping (Garton on the Wolds)

absolutly stunning drink mmmmmm
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 44
Pattidevans
May 27, 2011, 3:50pm Report to Moderator

It's ONLY diabetes. There are many worse things
Administrator Group
Quoted Text
Patti, this is mainly a list of American beers, not a great deal of use down your local pub.
http://www.carbs-information.com/carbs-in-beer.htm lists contain more "Brit" Lagers
How very odd Nick, since the link I posted is a UK site and the one you posted lists "net carbs" which suggests a USA site!

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 3:55pm Report to Moderator

Eurika!

I've been looking for the carb content of beer for years.  Here is the hidden secret: It will surprise you.

"[T]he major carbohydrate families present in beer, namely the beta-linked materials, derived from the beta-glucan and arabinoxylan present in barley. Such molecules are neither metabolized by brewing yeast nor by the human body. Accordingly if they are present in beer they pass through the body to the large intestine. If they are high  molecular weight (viscous) polymers inefficiently dealt with in the brewery (e.g. in brews from relatively under modified malt mashed-in at high temperatures) then, whilst likely having challenged the brewer for their impact on filtration rates, their presence in the final beer is favourable from a perspective of soluble fibre. If they are of low molecular weight – and it does appear that in malting and brewing sizeable proportions of the beta-glucan and pentosan survive as oligosaccharides or disaccharides (such  as cellobiose and laminaribiose) – then they are still highly likely to be of value as pre-biotics. These are substances that represent feedstock for the beneficial microflora of the lower gut. Already there is evidence that beers average around 2 g/L of soluble fibre, but that some contain three-fold more than this)
, see also Table III). The Food and Drug Administration classifies a food as a good source of a nutrient if it provides 10% of the Daily Value (DV), i.e. the daily requirement for an individual. The DV figure used for labelling purposes in the case of fibre is 25 g per day, ergo some beers might quite clearly be ascribed as being a good source of this key dietary element. This whole area is clearly worthy of urgent study.
CONCLUSIONS
1. All beers can be taken in moderation as part of socalled “low carb” diets.
2. Beers overtly positioned as part of a “calorie-counting” diet should be of low alcohol content.
3. There is scope for positioning beers as being a source of “good carbs”, i.e. soluble fibre and pre-biotics. "

from
Beer, Carbohydrates and Diet
by C.W. Bamforth
but it is from JOURNAL OF THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING

Sounds like beer has some redeeming qualities after all, and those with higher carb content are better for you (or at least your gut microflora).  Just watch out for the calories!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 4:11pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Pattidevans
How very odd Nick, since the link I posted is a UK site and the one you posted lists "net carbs" which suggests a USA site!

It is, but now I know it just does not matter that much!   I did used to have one for predominantly English beers, but I can't find it now.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 4:42pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from MARKPRIOR
Didnt quite know where to put this,

anyway as ive said before on the weekends i like a drink, i cant stand spirits so whats the best lager / beer from a diabetic point of view, tried google and it didnt really say much

So Mark, I believe I have an answer:  Guidelines for lager or beer apply equally to (T2) diabetes as anyone else because their carbohydrate content is indigestible by humans.  (T1s may need to adjust insulin does because of alcohol consumption).
All beers are the same in this respect (except possibly root beers).  I would recommend avoiding beers with added chemicals.

It is possible that the carbohydrate in beer or larger helps gut microflora and some carbs are antioxidants.

I'm very glad you asked that question.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 44
Si Greenwood
May 27, 2011, 6:23pm Report to Moderator

Quite a few people get on well with Guiness also Michelob do a low carb beer called Michelob Ultra which is ok and you can get it from the larger supermarkets.
I actually drink whatever I fancy and bolus for it accordingly (not sure if you are type 1 or 2) and I've never had any problems but I am careful and test and the next day I tend to drop my Basal.

Type 1 since 1986. Animas 2020 pump user since mid September 2009 using Apidra.
HbA1C 6.5% Nov '08, 6.3% Jan '09, 5.7% March '09, 5.3% Oct '09, 5.0% Jan '10, 5.5% March '10, 5.1% Sept '10, 5.4% April '11.
DAFNE graduate Feb '09.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 44
lozzark
May 27, 2011, 6:33pm Report to Moderator

Guiness is a high carb beer, not that it matters.  It also gives me missed heart beats unfortunately!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 44
Ziggy
May 27, 2011, 8:37pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from lozzark
Guiness is a high carb beer, not that it matters.  It also gives me missed heart beats unfortunately!

That's only your heart trying to do the 'riverdance' Lozzark when that liquid black gold enters your bloodstream.

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 12 - 44
Moby
May 27, 2011, 10:16pm Report to Moderator

Bard of DSF
Moderator Group
after several pints of anything, 'low carb' or not, i think i am michael flatley!

anyway, due to diligent research with my meter over the years i can safely say that all beers affect my bg levels quite badly. i find i have to stick to red wine and spirits, life is sooooooooooo unfair sometimes.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 44
Ziggy
May 27, 2011, 11:32pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Moby
anyway, due to diligent research with my meter over the years i can safely say that all beers affect my bg levels quite badly.

That is the thing about D - according to Lozzark beer has no carb in a human digestible form - but they can still raise your BGs Mr Moby, there's someone else on the forum who spikes on Pepsi Max (not a carb to be found in it!!!) - Curiouser and Curiouser

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Private Message Reply: 14 - 44
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.