dsf logo November 1, 2014, 4:35am
Welcome, Guest.

Please note: This is the archive forum, for information only. Please visit the new forum

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics    Food and diet  ›  maltitol
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider, Yahoo! Bot and 1 Guests

maltitol Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
November 30, 2010, 10:53am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Just a word to the wise about the sugar substitute maltitol (although I'm probably the only person here who hadn't previously realised this!)

I bought myself some sugar-free fruit gums sweetened with maltitol. I ate rather a lot of them the other day knowing I would suffer the side effect of wind and possible runny tummy. I did indeed suffer these effects but the effect I had not bargained for was my BG was 12.5 afterwards!

After reading up on maltitol I discovered it is far from being BG-neutral and still provides about 70% of the calories and BG effect as normal sugar. Disappointing, especially when you factor in the effects on the digestive system.

Looks like I'll be sticking to my once-weekly treat of a small bag of choccy buttons and giving the "sugar-free" sweeties a miss
November 30, 2010, 4:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I've found recently that even a small amount of anything ending in -ol has a bad effect on my guts. I don't like the taste of Splenda, so I'm getting a bit pushed for sweeteners. "Original" Hermesetas ( saccharine based ) is OK : it's a struggle to give up sweetening coffee . I stopped completely for about 4 months but found I really missed it. Dunno what to use in cooking , so tend not to do that kind of cooking.
E-mail Reply: 1 - 5
November 30, 2010, 5:00pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'm not keen on Splenda either Tessa, I find it leaves a nasty aftertaste. I don't sweeten tea or coffee but as you say it's hard to find a good substitute for the odd occasion you want to cook sweet stuff.
E-mail Reply: 2 - 5
November 30, 2010, 8:31pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Tessa - go to Word Navigator and enter *ol in the search box for all sorts of (mostly non-medical) words ending in "ol".  I noticed alcohol and ethanol, for example!
E-mail Reply: 3 - 5
November 30, 2010, 9:55pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Useful for crosswords, thank you !
E-mail Reply: 4 - 5
December 1, 2010, 2:01am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Well alcohol defo lowers yer BG.

Have you ever tried any ethanol BATcher?

And what about scho-OL ?
E-mail Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics    Food and diet  ›  maltitol

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.