dsf logo September 16, 2014, 8:25pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Insulin and medication  ›  Lifescan One Touch meters
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Lifescan One Touch meters Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
sedge
June 5, 2010, 4:14pm Report to Moderator

Hands up everyone who knew we can't buy these any more!

I had to ring em yesterday as my batteries in my Ultra 2 went - well TBH what you do is swap em round, because the one only operates the backlight, and when the sharp end one hasn't enough OOmph left in it to do the testing, it will still have enough for the backlight.  So mine gave me the message last Monday, but still worked if I took the strip out and shoved it back in again and Tuesday I got fed up with it and swapped the batteries.  As we were away I didn't ring em until yesterday.  Had to go on website to get phone number and I always have a look see if there anything new I fancy, that's where I found out you can't buy em in Boots etc now.

Talk about the third degree.

Name, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, was it still OK if they contacted me by email if they felt the need, cos I had said it was before - Yes.  How long had I been diabetic?  Was I Type 1 or Type 2?  Did I take insulin or oral anti diabetic meds?  How many meters have I got? - just the one.  How many times a day do I test? at least 4, sometimes more depending on need.  When was the last time I put batteries in this meter? - dunno, but I had them from you.  Yes, but when was it? - I don't know, but whenever it was, I had them from you.  That's how I knew to swap the batteries round, last time I rang, the lady explained that I could do that whilst waiting for the new ones to arrive, so I did that on Tuesday, was away on hols so that's why I haven't rung until today.

So how long was it since I replaced these batteries? - You aren't listening to me are you? - I do not know when it was.  It was not this year but I have no idea when it was before then.  If you need to know this, you should have it in your records, because I got them from you.
Well it says here we sent you batteries and control solution on July the something 2009. - Well then - that must be when it was.  That's odd they have gone that quick, I'm absolutely certain the originals must have lasted far far longer than that.  Well they can do.

OK we'll send you two new batteries then.

Hoo flaming Rah.  They arrived this morning.

Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid since 24 May 2011

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 7&11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5

Lipids - 7/10 - Total 5.6, H 1.9, L 3.3, T 0.9  Trigs/HDL 0.47
- 2/11 - Total 5.3, H 2.1, L 1.46, T 0.6  Trigs/HDL 0.29

BP - 6/10 127/79, 7/10 136/66, 2/11 125/75  Olmetec 10mg

TSH - 7/10 5.1, 2/11 8.73  Thyroxine 25mg

http://79.170.42.2/diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php
Logged Offline
Private Message
Avocado
June 5, 2010, 4:56pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from sedge
Hands up everyone who knew we can't buy these any more!

Hands waving, both hands !

I wanted a new One Touch, one of the new fancy colours and so that I'd have another just in case. I found I couldn't buy them anymore. This was some time last year. When I rang Lifescan they told me the reason they're not available to buy anymore is that people without diabetes were buying them and Lifescan was having to give them support - they only want to give support to people with diabetes.

I offered to buy one direct from them but they said no, that since I already have a One Touch I didn't need another one

When I next go to France I'm going to look in a Pharmacie and see if I can get one there !

Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g/day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg.
Also Osteoporosis, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis - Strontium Ranelate 2g, Omacor 2g, Dekristol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every other week, vitamin K2 90mcg

Current HbA1c 5.4 Current total cholesterol 8.2, HDL 3, LDL 5 (Iranian adjusted 3.8 ), triglycerides 0.5
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 36
BATcher
June 6, 2010, 8:27am Report to Moderator

Sedge

You will probably find that your local pound shop does a card full of batteries, some of which will be the ones you want, for about, err, ...

Easier than getting the third degree!

BATcher

Type 2, diagnosed June 1993, on insulin since May 2005; last HbA1c 5.9% (gosh!);
early morning: Levemir, 29 u;
at each main meal: NovoRapid, ~10-20 u, with Metformin, 1 g;
just before bedtime: Levemir, 37 u; also simvastatin and aspirin;
Byetta worked very well for three weeks - then stopped working.  Sob.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 36
sedge
June 6, 2010, 9:27am Report to Moderator

Well I'm sure it couldn't have been that hard the last time, BATcher, I would have remembered it with trepidation, woiuldn't I?

Incidentally I did also ask how long the batteries are sposed to last - she said 6 months!  I've never had to replace batteries that quick in my life, but this is only 10 or 11 months so perhaps 6 months is more like it.

I also remembered after, I have got an old meter in the cupboard, it's just an Ultra, not an Ultra 2 - which I just updated when the new one came out.  I envisaged I would always be able to do that, taking my choice whether I badgered my DSN if I happened to be seeing her - or paid for it myself.

I mean where else would you get one from?  What for instance would Patti do, she doesn't see a DSN so how could she get a meter if they weren't sold?

And why can't we have a spare anyway?  We'd (insulin users) be right up Sh A creek without a paddle without one!

Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 7&11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 36
Pattidevans
June 6, 2010, 1:15pm Report to Moderator

It's ONLY diabetes. There are many worse things
Administrator Group
Quoted Text
I wanted a new One Touch, one of the new fancy colours and so that I'd have another just in case. I found I couldn't buy them anymore. This was some time last year. When I rang Lifescan they told me the reason they're not available to buy anymore is that people without diabetes were buying them and Lifescan was having to give them support - they only want to give support to people with diabetes.

I offered to buy one direct from them but they said no, that since I already have a One Touch I didn't need another one
I've never heard anything so convoluted!  I'm also at a bit of a loss as to why peeps without diabetes would want one - unless they suspected they may get diabetes i.e. someone had tested them and they'd got a highish one off number and wanted to test for a while just in case.  Or gluten intolerance they wanted to keep an eye on.

So if you can't buy them in the shops and you can't buy one from them.... how do you get one?  I mean it's easy enough to buy other makes - so that's what people will do, then they won;'t be selling their strips will they?

Sedge, I'm sure the batteries in the Xceed last ages and ages, cannot recall them ever sending me one.  Why would you not want a spare meter anyway?  What would happen if you dropped and broke it?  As you say, you'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 36
sedge
June 6, 2010, 1:42pm Report to Moderator

Well I can only presume as far as Lifescan are concerned, Anne doesn't need a spare because she's T2 and doesn't really need to test anyway.

(Joke Anne)

Jenny

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 36
Pattidevans
June 6, 2010, 3:11pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Quoted Text
Or gluten intolerance they wanted to keep an eye on.
I must have gluten on the brain!  I meant Glucose.

Hmmm but you'd think the manufacturers would be encouraging T2s to test wouldn't you?

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 36
sedge
June 6, 2010, 3:53pm Report to Moderator

Hee hee, I read "glucose" anyway LOL

I have decided to write and complain TBH.

Jenny

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 36
Avocado
June 6, 2010, 3:57pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Pattidevans
So if you can't buy them in the shops and you can't buy one from them.... how do you get one?  I mean it's easy enough to buy other makes - so that's what people will do, then they won;'t be selling their strips will they ?

I should imagine - though I might be wrong - that Lifescan are giving meters to GP surgeries and diabetic clinics free of charge so that DSNs give them to patients (I got mine originally from a DSN and got it free from her even though they were at the time still available from chemists at only about £. Also Lifescan will give Type 1s a free meter....but presumably only if they haven't already got a Lifescan one !

Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g/day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg.
Also Osteoporosis, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis - Strontium Ranelate 2g, Omacor 2g, Dekristol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every other week, vitamin K2 90mcg

Current HbA1c 5.4 Current total cholesterol 8.2, HDL 3, LDL 5 (Iranian adjusted 3.8 ), triglycerides 0.5
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 36
sedge
June 6, 2010, 7:34pm Report to Moderator

Yes - and apparently you can get them 'on prescription' according to their website.  Then I spose the pharmacy would have to order it.  Potty, I'd be more than happy to just phone my credit card through and save all that bloody palaver.

Jenny

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 36
sedge
June 7, 2010, 6:05pm Report to Moderator

Read the following and tell me what you think - I'm saying nuffink, me.

Sent: 06 June 2010 23:23
To: LifeScan, Customer Care [LFSGB]
Subject: Replacement Batteries

Hi

I telephoned last Friday to request replacement batteries for my Ultra 2 as mine had gone, these arrived yesterday so that's fine, thank you.

However when i telephoned to say you cross-examined me is an understatement, the lady i spoke to wanted to know all about my diabetes and then when I had last replaced the batteries, I said Oh, I dunno, but I had em off you whenever it was, so I expect you'll have a record.  Yes, but when was it?  I dunno.  Well how long ago was it?  I keep telling you I don't know, but it was before last Xmas.  Well when was it?  I was getting cross by this time and eventually she said 'Well it says here we sent you some on the something of July 2009' - so I said. Well then - that was when it was'.

Afterwards I thought, that was a flipping cheek and she had no right to ask ne any of those questions really, especially as I am already registered with you and you already know I am a bona-fide diabetic - I know this, because you asked for the serial number of my machine the first time I rang.

One of the questions you asked was how many meters I have, I said just the one but actually I remembered after, I have got another I keep in case I break or lose the other as I can't possibly live without a machine, being T1 on MDI.

I also thought I might treat myself to one of your snazzy -coloured machines to brighten my day, only to discover that i can't buy one now.

So I had a bit of a whinge about your attitude on the Forum I belong to and another member said she'd asked you for an additional machine so she had a spare and you'd told her she couldn't have one as she already has one!!!  She wanted a spare in case she lost or broke the one, so she thinks she will get herself 2 of another make.

Is that what you want us all to do?

I await your response.

Jenny C-----

To: jenny c
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 3:05 PM
Subject: RE: Replacement Batteries SR1-1943238225 CALL HADLING CHAPMAN
Dear Jenny C-------

Thank you for contacting LifeScan Customer Care.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the customer service you received. We always strive to give the highest standard of customer care and it is disappointing to hear that we did not manage this on this occasion.

When customers call we do have to check certain information for data protection and confidentiality reasons. We must confirm the customers name, phone number and first line of their address. If any of this information is missing we must then confirm their date of birth. There is additional information we do like to check on top of that. This includes information about the patients diabetes as sometimes the instances can change however when asking these questions we never aim to make the customer feel cross examined.

We must also check which meters customers have as we have a certain model of meter which is on product recall so we must confirm that that particular meter is not still with customers. Also on top of this we like to check all the customers meters are registered to ensure they are covered by the warranty.

Our policy on selling meters has now changed. We no longer sell them in pharmacies as we feel diabetics should not have to pay for meters and we found a lot of pharmacies were abusing the ability to sell meters, charging rates we could not control. We now provide meters free of change to doctors to distribute amongst their patients and in some circumstances we are able to provide these meters direct to the patient if they contact us and meet the specifications.

The reason so many questions are asked about the date your meter last had it’s batteries changed is because the batteries should last for a decent period of time and if they don’t last a reasonable length of time it could indicate there is a problem with the meter and we would need to replace it.

If we are unable to provide a second meter we always advise customers to speak to their doctors as if their doctor would like them to test and thinks it is best they have another meter they will provide another one. As mentioned above we do provide our meters to doctors free of charge so they can easily distribute them to their patients if necessary.

Having had a look at your account I can see that you would be eligible for another meter. So if you would still like one of our OneTouch®UltraEasy® meters please let us know and I can arrange this for you. This meter comes in green, pink or silver so please also inform us which colour you would like.

If your friend would still like another meter I would advise her to contact her doctor.

We are committed to providing you with excellent service and for your information we also provide replacement batteries, control solution and record books free of charge.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate contact us. You may send an e-mail to CustomerCare@LifeScan.co.uk or alternatively you can call the Customer Care team on our Freephone number 0800 121200 (1800 535676 from Ireland). We are available from 8.30 am to 6pm Monday to Friday and from 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. A message service is available out of hours.  

Kind Regards

Kaley Marrable
Customer Care Representative
LifeScan UK/Ireland
a Johnson&Johnson company
Johnson & Johnson
50-100 Holmers Farm Way
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
HP12 4DP
Tel: 0800 121200
E-mail:customercare@lifescan.co.uk
http://www.lifescan.co.uk <http://www.lifescan.co.uk/>
Confidentiality notice

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to the sender so that Johnson & Johnson can arrange for proper delivery. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer. LifeScan is a division of Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics, 50-100 Holmers Farm Way, High Wycombe Bucks HP12 4DP UK
Registered in England No 2549777

Dear Kaley

Thank you for your response.

With regard to the extra meter for myself, my, my! - you have changed your tune on that one haven't you?  Not been so long ago you told me I already had one of your latest meters so i couldn't have one.  You know all about me and my equipment without me telling you, when it suits you, and please don't quote the Data Protection Act at me, that is just a complete smokescreen and it most certainly does not apply to the supply of batteries for electronic gadgets that I could actually go into Maplins or a camera shop and buy anyway.  (If not the £ Shop)

I am of course very disappointed that you take the attitude that folk should have to go through a third party to obtain the means to manage their condition; as I expect you know very well many NHS doctors do not allow T2's to have test strips on the NHS so they buy their own.  It is a cost issue and very often the PCT's deliberately misinterpret the NICE Guidelines on testing and instruct GP surgeries they mustn't prescribe to T2's not on insulin.  My doctor tells me I use too many strips.  I don't - I use exactly as many as i need to use!   You seem to be complicit in this because you now won't supply a meter to anyone not on insulin.  Terribly retrograde step for well-motivated T2's who do take the trouble to educate and look after themselves - very often with no encouragement whatsoever from the NHS, who simply do not bother to explain the condition to 99 out of every hundred T2's.  Having said that - we very often know a lot more about it than our GP's do anyway, because fate has made it our business, LOL

Anyway I'll leave that alone too, it will just turn into a rant.

So finally - Yes! - I would like a OneTouch®UltraEasy® meter please - a pink one, preferably.  LOL.  

Thank you.

Jenny Chapman

Jenny

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 36
Avocado
June 7, 2010, 6:15pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from sedge
Read the following and tell me what you think - I'm saying nuffink, me.

I really enjoyed reading your rant to them Jenny and am glad they responded ! Quick of them too ! Well done of you and wow you'll get a pink meter I do hope they take on board what you said about type 2's and the way they are often treated by GP's re testing.

Maybe I'll take them up on their suggestions and ask my doctor for another meter when I next see him Maybe even just phone the DSN at the GP practice and ask her

Anne

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 36
Pattidevans
June 7, 2010, 6:22pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
I liked your last bit best!  Fantastic!  The bit about T2s buying their own strips!

Patti

© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 36
BATcher
June 7, 2010, 6:47pm Report to Moderator

I was with you almost all the way, then it went severely downhill when you asked for a pink meter.  Shame on you!

BATcher

Type 2, diagnosed June 1993, on insulin since May 2005; last HbA1c 5.9% (gosh!);
early morning: Levemir, 29 u;
at each main meal: NovoRapid, ~10-20 u, with Metformin, 1 g;
just before bedtime: Levemir, 37 u; also simvastatin and aspirin;
Byetta worked very well for three weeks - then stopped working.  Sob.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 36
sedge
June 7, 2010, 8:29pm Report to Moderator

They appear to be SHOCKING pink BATcher; I didn't fancy fluorescent green!

Jenny

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 36
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.