dsf logo September 20, 2014, 8:53am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Food and diet  ›  Sugarless (Sugar Free) Wine Question
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Sugarless (Sugar Free) Wine Question Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
lemonhead
April 15, 2010, 10:52am Report to Moderator
Hi, one of my good friends is diabetic and obviously has to worry about his sugar intake which in turn means he has to watch what alcoholic drinks he consumes and the quantity.

I came across an interesting wine recently, basically my girlfriend knows the owner of a vineyard in South America that produces the apparently the only Organic sugarless wine in the world. This got me thinking that maybe this might be something that might help (or make life easier) people who are sugar intolerant, like my friend. So I became interested in the wine and have being doing some research on it.

Basically I found that in all wine there is a certain amount of sugar, the drier the wine the less sugar it has, so a sweet wine has a lot of sugar compared to a dry wine. The process of making wine is the sugar in the grapes is turned into alcohol by the yeast, but there is always a residual amount of sugar left over as normally not all the sugar can be converted into alcohol. I am told that this is the only wine in the world (but I think there may be others) that turns all the sugar into alcohol and they have scientific proof to back this up, which I have seen.

I have tried the wine and it tastes ok and I was wondering would this be something people who are sugar intolerant would be interested in? my friend who is diabetic doesn't really drink but he seems to think it might be interesting for people who do.

I understand that the alcohol is also an issue, but is a wine with completely no sugar a good thing for diabetics? Obviously diabetics are advised not to drink alcohol anyway but I know many do, so I am interested to know if a wine like this could help people or at least make it easier and more manageable for them to drink if they are going to anyway.

I have posted this question elsewhere as I would like peoples opinion. I apologise for my ignorance in this matter but I would be very interested in peoples thoughts on this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Lady J
April 15, 2010, 11:04am Report to Moderator

Moderator Group
Hi Lemonhead

Not quite sure where you got this classic gem of information:

Quoted Text
Obviously diabetics are advised not to drink alcohol

...as it is completely untrue!  In fact, alcohol in modest quanities can be beneficial in lowering blood glucose levels and many diabetics can benefit from a glass of red wine in the evenings to help with blood glucose control.  Vast quantities of alchol will inhibit liver function and so can be dangerous to some diabetics if they are relying on their liver to 'dump' glucose into their system to prevent their blood glucose levels falling too low.  Therefore, in some ways, drinking large volumes of completely sugarless wine may be even more dangerous.

Dry white wine and most reds are relatively low in 'sugar' and so there is no real need to get any special 'sugar free' wine I wouldn't have thought.  Also, it is worth noting that diabetics are not 'sugar intolerant' they are 'carbohydrate intolerant' (if you want to put it like that).  Sugar is just one form of carbohydrate, so we have more to worry about than finding a completely sugarless beverage

Having said all that, there are tons and tons and TONS of useless diabetic products out there which are designed to filch money out of diabetics with criminally poor knowledge of their condition (thanks to the NHS).  So perhaps one cunningly marketed product could make you (or someone else) some money!

LJ

Type 1 - Diagnosed November 2007
First HbA1c: 11.2
Last HbA1c: 5.9  
Novorapid and Levemir (latter started Dec 08 )

Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 1 - 16
Avocado
April 15, 2010, 11:09am Report to Moderator

Red wine certainly doesn't contain sugar, at least not French red wine as it is completely illegal to add sugar to the grapes when they are fermenting. There is of course the natural sugar that grapes contain, the same sugars that all fruit contains, and you wouldn't be able to remove that sugar or you wouldn't have any thing for the yeast to ferment !

Many diabetics find that red wine, in moderation, helps lower their blood sugar, it has a beneficial effect on the pancreas....in fact in a previous thread this was discussed !

Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g/day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg.
Also Osteoporosis, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis - Strontium Ranelate 2g, Omacor 2g, Dekristol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every other week, vitamin K2 90mcg

Current HbA1c 5.4 Current total cholesterol 8.2, HDL 3, LDL 5 (Iranian adjusted 3.8 ), triglycerides 0.5
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
lemonhead
April 15, 2010, 11:18am Report to Moderator
Thank you for correcting me and clearing a few things up Lady J. I forgot to say the percentage of the wine is also low at only 11% (generally most wines are around 13%) but as you suggest maybe there is no real need for diabetics to drink completley sugarless wine anyway.

I know the wine is successfull in Australia if you google organicsugarlesswine you should see the website for the Australian distibutors. I just found the product interesting but maybe the medicinal purposes they claim are not actually as good as they suggest.

Thanks
Lee
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
TerryG
April 15, 2010, 12:23pm Report to Moderator

Moderator Group
Totally agree with LJ. Looks to me like the makers stumbled upon a potential marketing strategy, but it seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem - that isn't significant, either on the sugar side (against other similar wines) or on the alcohol side.

And, as such, my indifference to the product would only turn to disapproval if product claims were made in the UK to prey on the fears and relative ignorance of the mass of diabetics to drive sales.

It's a bit like the products labelled "suitable for diabetics", which, as we know, people are positively discouraged from buying by the government, dietitians, doctors and informed diabetics.

T1 DX 06/2003 ex-Lantus/Novo, now using Medtronic Paradigm Veo with Apidra. Dafne graduate.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
VBH
April 15, 2010, 12:29pm Report to Moderator
Yup looks like a marketing ploy to me too.  In any case red wines have a lot more benefits than white, whether you are diabetic or not.

On the subject of sugar Lee, you might find this interesting:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/diabetes-blogs/Diabetes-Myths-2-Its-all-about-sugar.html
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
Ziggy
April 15, 2010, 1:13pm Report to Moderator

Ever feel like you're a cartoon character?
Here is a link to a brief guide to carbs in alcohol Click here please, though when ingesting alcohol, the liver stops producing insulin in order to process the alcohol which means that your BGs can go down.

Ziggy      ;      ;      ;

ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008
Nov 10 Total Chol - 5.2, HDL - 1.48, LDL - 3.31, Trigs - 0.89
May 11 Total Chol - 6.7   , HDL - 1.55, LDL - 3.89   , Trigs - 2.75    

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
Pattidevans
April 15, 2010, 6:32pm Report to Moderator

It's ONLY diabetes. There are many worse things
Administrator Group
Quoted Text
though when ingesting alcohol, the liver stops producing insulin
I'm sure that's a typo Zigs, since the liver produces glucagon and the pancreas produces insulin and I know you're aware of that.

I agree with Terry that it sounds like a solution looking for a problem.  I do have a Diploma (with distinction) from the Wine and Spirit Education Trust for what it's worth, since it was a long time ago and I've forgotten a lot.    Whilst the French aren't permitted to add sugar to their wines, they are permitted to stop the fermentation (by temperature control) to leave residual sugar in the wine and of course there are the sweet Sauterne types of wine where the grapes are left to rot on the vine or botrytise and those wines have a high alcohol content married with a high sugar content.  German wines can be fermented  to dryness and then back blended with unfermented juice (susskind) which contains natural sugar.  So it behoves us to beware, but there are plenty of nice dry white wines that we can enjoy without a hike in BG.  I'd be very wary of anything labelled "diabetic wine" to be honest!

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
Ziggy
April 15, 2010, 8:19pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Pattidevans
I'm sure that's a typo Zigs, since the liver produces glucagon and the pancreas produces insulin and I know you're aware of that.

Though speaketh truly Good Lady, I meant that the liver's production of glucogen was halted while it dealt with the toxin that is alcohol - which can sometimes lead to low blood sugar, when drinking on an empty stomach for instance.

Ziggy      ;      ;      ;

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
Pattidevans
April 15, 2010, 10:47pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Truly I knoweth that thou hast the knowledge Sir Zig!

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
Ziggy
April 15, 2010, 10:58pm Report to Moderator

Forsooth this forum has been a repository of knowledge and learning M'lady. Why, even my old and addled brainbox has been rekindled by the wonders revealed here.

Ziggy     ;      ;      ;

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
Pattidevans
April 15, 2010, 11:38pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
In which case Sir Zigs, please put yer tin can armor on again and go patrol the ramparts!  Ensure the Carbs do not infiltrate please!

Patti

© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
Ziggy
April 15, 2010, 11:45pm Report to Moderator

M'Lady, I fear the addlement which permeates my brainbox (and I am statin free Gadzooks)  may be spreading to you, I stalwartly patrol the battlements every night to protect against and to repel the Carbs.  

Soundbite of knees being bent and of a cape being flourished and laid on the ground (over a puddle - LOL)

Ziggy     ;     ;     ;

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
Pattidevans
April 15, 2010, 11:49pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Ahhh gadzooks  methinks we have misjudged you Sir Ziglaw. (you do realise we have to stop this  or we will get sectioned?)

Patti

© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
Ziggy
April 15, 2010, 11:53pm Report to Moderator

Hmmmm, speak for yourself Patti, I am typing this from within my beautifully padded cell, all the pads embroidered with the design of 3 feathers.

Ziggy     ;      ;     ;

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.