dsf logo April 18, 2014, 11:58am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Food and diet  ›  Turmeric and piperine
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Turmeric and piperine Print
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Alan
February 6, 2010, 11:56pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from GrammaBear
I must admit that I am totally ignorant of turmeric, however I did find it in the 'spice aisle' of our large grocery store.  I bought a small jar and when I arrived home I found it is the ground variety with a shaker top.  Is this type still beneficial as opposed to fresh ground?  My husband and I have developed a fondness for curry roux and were wondering if turmeric tastes anything like curry?  Thanks for your patience.

Kathy

I've used the root turmeric, but very rarely. My usual turmeric is the ground powder form, which is the same stuff that is included, along with lots of other spices, in commercial curry powders and pastes.

I have no idea whether the different forms have different benefits apart from flavour, but I doubt it.

Cheers, Alan, T2 dx April 2002, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Free Radicals and James Bond)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Kochi, Kerala, India)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 15 - 17
Tiger Lily
February 7, 2010, 6:49am Report to Moderator

Type 1 since 1987, no longer insulin resistant
Quoted from Pattidevans

Of course the peeps who have eaten curry all their lives and still got dementia wouldn't be wandering around for your to meet, unless you're a regular visitor to care homes Kate!

Margaret, I am glad Nige mentioned it, we did all kind of pass over the fact that your daughter is now diabetic and yes, she would be most welcome here!

lol

i live approx 2 blocks, as the crow flies (it's faster to walk than to drive there) from one of the larger nursing homes, providing everthing from 'assisted living' where the senior wants to be independant, but needs someone to be around once a day to make sure they are well, to a full lock down, total care facility for the patients who are completely unable to care for themselves for whatever reason
my best friends father stayed there for a couple of years at the end of his life...... i went over to visit him once a week to reduce the pressure on my friend who was running between her mother (who was rapidly going blind but refused nursing home care) and her father who was in care
didn't see one person likely to be eating curry, except one Asian fellow who may have been close enough to India to have blended curries into his meals too
-i'm very happy that i love curry

kate, type 1 LADA? Aug 21,1989
the treatment triad for diabetes is diet/exercise/meds! don't forget your exercise

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/firststeps/newdiagnosed

Private Message Reply: 16 - 17
lozzark
February 7, 2010, 2:45pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Alan

I'm a little doubtful of that. He makes this statement but does not support it:

"Piperine and Black pepper, from which Piperine is extracted from, are not the same. The same results can't be achieved by merely increasing the use of black pepper spice in ones diet. If folks believe other wise, and some do, they are just chasing a moving shadow. Because it is chemically impossible for your stomach to break down black pepper and then extract the enzyme that makes Piperine. "

I have been using turmeric and grated black pepper as I described for nearly 8 years. I cannot comment on what goes on in my gut, but it seems to work for me and until I see a paper or reliable source confirming that comment I'll continue as I have in the past.

I also tend to believe in using herbs and spices in the form that nature provided them, or close to it, not in capsules or pills.

Hi Alan,

There are many benefits of black pepper, but we were looking at the ability to increase turmeric absorption.  I could only find articles that related to piperine doing that and only at 20mg or more.  The equivalent black pepper needed is 400mg, which is rather a lot of pepper, even if the piperine could be utilised by the body.  I could not find any articles indicating that pepper alone increases bioavailability.

T2 metformin   A1c 10.2% FBG 23mmol at dx Nov 2000
Min A1c 5.5%.  Max A1c 6.9%
Cholesterol 5.6, LDL 3.2, HDL 1.22
Keep searching because the truth will set you free!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.