dsf logo September 16, 2014, 3:53am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Food and diet  ›  Turmeric and piperine
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Turmeric and piperine Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
lozzark
January 30, 2010, 1:43am Report to Moderator

Moderators' note: This thread was split off from another so the discussion on turmeric and piperine (pepper) could be more clearly identified.

Quoted from Margaret
Second question..........are there any foods in particular that reduce LDL levels.........seems HDL levels are OK.

Yes, oddly enough: Turmric.  You don't need much either.  Also it has many benefits.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

Also many other foods help:  mainly just whole foods
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=fightdz&dbid=25#discussion

High LDL may just be a consequence of poor diet.  Lowering it without improving diet IMO is foolish.
The mediterranean diet (Lyon Heart study) showed that good food can reduce the risk of heart disease irrespective of what happens to your cholesterol
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4655

Quoted from Margaret

Seems like they cure you of one thing and kill you with something worse.

Medicines tend to focus on the main symptom at hand.  Sometimes that is essential, but medicines can distort processes in other parts of the body, destroying natural homeostasis.  Often the body can adapt/adjust, but when it can't they call it a "side effect", which indeed it is.  Some side-effects can be worse than the original condition!

T2 metformin   A1c 10.2% FBG 23mmol at dx Nov 2000
Min A1c 5.5%.  Max A1c 6.9%
Cholesterol 5.6, LDL 3.2, HDL 1.22
Keep searching because the truth will set you free!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Alan
January 30, 2010, 3:49am Report to Moderator

Moderators' note: this message, which appears in full in the "New results" thread has been snipped to retain the part relevant to turmeric - see message above.

I include turmeric in my menu daily with no noticeable affect on my higher-than-the doc-likes LDL. However turmeric accompanied by cracked pepper has other benefits.

Cheers, Alan, T2 dx April 2002, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Free Radicals and James Bond)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Kochi, Kerala, India)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 1 - 17
Ziggy
February 1, 2010, 11:52pm Report to Moderator

Ever feel like you're a cartoon character?
Quoted from lozzark

Yes, oddly enough: Turmric.  You don't need much either.  Also it has many benefits.

What way do you take it Lozzark - do you use H&B coated capsules or just use it a lot in your food?

Ziggy      ;      ;      ;

ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008
Nov 10 Total Chol - 5.2, HDL - 1.48, LDL - 3.31, Trigs - 0.89
May 11 Total Chol - 6.7   , HDL - 1.55, LDL - 3.89   , Trigs - 2.75    

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 2 - 17
lozzark
February 5, 2010, 2:44pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Ziggy

What way do you take it Lozzark - do you use H&B coated capsules or just use it a lot in your food?

Hi Ziggy,

I just put it in food.  I've used plain boiled brown basmati for ages and apart from the yellow colour, the turmeric is not noticeable. Obviously I put it in curries, I made a chickpea one from Madhur Jaffrey's book last week.  (I didn't know chickpeas could taste that good!) But I also put it in spag bol, risotto & soups.

You can get big bags fairly cheaply from Indian Supermarkets.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 17
Tiger Lily
February 5, 2010, 4:18pm Report to Moderator

Type 1 since 1987, no longer insulin resistant
Nick

turmeric is a good naturally occuring anti oxidant

read a recent abstract, where researchers are trying to find out what it is that makes the turmeric so good........ and they are indicating it protects you against alzheimer's (do you know folk who have eatten curry their whole life, who have developed alzheimers? the 80 yr old man at the store is bright as a button!)

one additional factor......... for the properties of turmeric to be effective or 'activated' you need to add fresh ground BLACK pepper to the mix, in generous proportions

enjoy!

kate, type 1 LADA? Aug 21,1989
the treatment triad for diabetes is diet/exercise/meds! don't forget your exercise

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/firststeps/newdiagnosed

Private Message Reply: 4 - 17
Alan
February 5, 2010, 11:21pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from lozzark

Hi Ziggy,

I just put it in food.  I've used plain boiled brown basmati for ages and apart from the yellow colour, the turmeric is not noticeable. Obviously I put it in curries, I made a chickpea one from Madhur Jaffrey's book last week.  (I didn't know chickpeas could taste that good!) But I also put it in spag bol, risotto & soups.

You can get big bags fairly cheaply from Indian Supermarkets.
Note to the Moderators, you might consider using this or an earlier post in the thread to be a new thread on turmeric or spices in general. [Good idea and done. Mods.]

I can't eat rice in any quantity. But I do eat eggs in one form or another five days out of seven. I always add a sprinkle of turmeric and a grating of black pepper to omelettes and scrambled eggs.

Here is why I add the pepper:
Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers.

"Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg produced much higher concentrations from 0.25 to 1 h post drug (P less than 0.01 at 0.25 and 0.5 h; P less than 0.001 at 1 h), the increase in bioavailability was 2000%. The study shows that in the dosages used, piperine enhances the serum concentration, extent of absorption and bioavailability of curcumin in both rats and humans with no adverse effects."

Ever since I was made aware of that by Annette on a.s.d. years ago I have tried to include a sprinkling of turmeric and pepper in some form in my food daily.

Another reason was reading this when I was a list manager on the ACOR CLL group:

Potent spice works to block growth of melanoma in lab test

"HOUSTON - Curcumin, the pungent yellow spice found in both turmeric and curry powders, blocks a key biological pathway needed for development of melanoma and other cancers, say researchers from The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Surprisingly, it didn't matter how much curcumin was used, says the researchers. "The NF-kB machinery is suppressed by both short exposures to high concentrations of curcumin as well as by longer exposure to lower concentrations of curcumin," they say in their study. Given that other studies have shown curcumin is non-toxic, these results should be followed by a test of the spice in both animal models of melanoma and in human trials, they say. "

I think this may be the original paper; if not it is certainly an interesting aggregation of the various other papers on the possible benefits of turmeric:

Curcumin Derived fromTurmeric (Curcuma longa): a Spice for All Seasons

I don't make any claims for turmeric and cancer or my dietary changes and cancer. I am, however, very grateful that my CLL appears to have been dormant since I made both changes.

--
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 5 - 17
lozzark
February 6, 2010, 1:31am Report to Moderator

Hi Alan,

I see where you are coming from, but unfortunately the body cannot metabolize black pepper to piperine.

http://www.cochranfoundation.com/reports/piperin.htm

Having read that, I'm off to find some piperine!

If I understand correctly, it may be a way of helping weight loss.  It takes a lot of energy to warm the body and those with higher average temperatures tend to be thinner.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 17
Ziggy
February 6, 2010, 11:23am Report to Moderator

Plus for the ladies (and gents as they can be prone too) this article about turmeric and black pepper
Click here for article

Lozzark - let me know if you find a piperine supplier. (Yes I'm still grasping at those pesky straws LOL)

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Exercise and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out
Private Message Reply: 7 - 17
Pattidevans
February 6, 2010, 11:46am Report to Moderator

It's ONLY diabetes. There are many worse things
Administrator Group
Quoted Text
(do you know folk who have eatten curry their whole life, who have developed alzheimers? the 80 yr old man at the store is bright as a button!)

Of course the peeps who have eaten curry all their lives and still got dementia wouldn't be wandering around for your to meet, unless you're a regular visitor to care homes Kate!

Margaret, I am glad Nige mentioned it, we did all kind of pass over the fact that your daughter is now diabetic and yes, she would be most welcome here!

Patti

Type 1 on Levemir/Humalog, Lisinopril, Thyroxine, Liothyronine and now 1000mg Glucophage SR. Last Hba1c 5.6  Highest Hba1c since March 2004.
Please visit our new forum http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php as this one has closed
© 2011 Patti Evans
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 17
lozzark
February 6, 2010, 12:26pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Ziggy

Lozzark - let me know if you find a piperine supplier. (Yes I'm still grasping at those pesky straws LOL)

Found one.  extract of piperine is called bioperine

http://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_ult_bioperine_nut_absorp_enh

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 17
Ziggy
February 6, 2010, 4:01pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from lozzark

Found one.  extract of piperine is called bioperine

Thanks Lozzark

Although I have found other brands which have the curcumin and the piperine combined in one capsule - which they say must be coated so it isn't dissolved until it reaches your intestines where it does most good (apparently), but at nowhere near as good a price as the company you quote).  (fast becoming a supplementoholic sigh sigh)

Ziggy      ;      ;     ;

T2 Since 22-May-2008

Private Message Reply: 10 - 17
lozzark
February 6, 2010, 8:02pm Report to Moderator

Hi Ziggy,

Yeah, I found all those combined ones at 6 times the price too!  This one is advertised as doing the job, and there is nothing wrong with turmeric as food.  I bought a couple of bottles with paypal, just to see if it really is theromogenetic.  I know some things are though, because after certain curries and sometimes just ordinary foods I can feel my temperature rise, but I've never identified the specific components for sure.  I always thought it might be cinnamon (or may be cassia) that did it - but not sure.

Cheers,  Nick

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 17
Alan
February 6, 2010, 9:22pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from lozzark
Hi Alan,

I see where you are coming from, but unfortunately the body cannot metabolize black pepper to piperine.

http://www.cochranfoundation.com/reports/piperin.htm

Having read that, I'm off to find some piperine!

If I understand correctly, it may be a way of helping weight loss.  It takes a lot of energy to warm the body and those with higher average temperatures tend to be thinner.

I'm a little doubtful of that. He makes this statement but does not support it:

"Piperine and Black pepper, from which Piperine is extracted from, are not the same. The same results can't be achieved by merely increasing the use of black pepper spice in ones diet. If folks believe other wise, and some do, they are just chasing a moving shadow. Because it is chemically impossible for your stomach to break down black pepper and then extract the enzyme that makes Piperine. "

I have been using turmeric and grated black pepper as I described for nearly 8 years. I cannot comment on what goes on in my gut, but it seems to work for me and until I see a paper or reliable source confirming that comment I'll continue as I have in the past.

I also tend to believe in using herbs and spices in the form that nature provided them, or close to it, not in capsules or pills.

--
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 12 - 17
GrammaBear
February 6, 2010, 10:08pm Report to Moderator

I must admit that I am totally ignorant of turmeric, however I did find it in the 'spice aisle' of our large grocery store.  I bought a small jar and when I arrived home I found it is the ground variety with a shaker top.  Is this type still beneficial as opposed to fresh ground?  My husband and I have developed a fondness for curry roux and were wondering if turmeric tastes anything like curry?  Thanks for your patience.

Kathy

Kathy
Type 1 diagnosed 4-21-2003
Novolog,  Medtronic Revel 723
Dexcom CGM (self funded)
A1C 6.8% (3-8-2011)

Micardis, Metoprolol XL, HCTZ, Synthroid, Alprazolam, Metformin & various vitamins and supplements

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 17
sedge
February 6, 2010, 11:27pm Report to Moderator

Not familiar with curry roux Kathy, but turmeric is used in heck of a lot of Indian dishes, it not only helps the taste but it also is an attractive orangey colour so it adds to both flavour and appearance.  It isn't a 'hot' taste.

Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid since 24 May 2011

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 7&11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5

Lipids - 7/10 - Total 5.6, H 1.9, L 3.3, T 0.9  Trigs/HDL 0.47
- 2/11 - Total 5.3, H 2.1, L 1.46, T 0.6  Trigs/HDL 0.29

BP - 6/10 127/79, 7/10 136/66, 2/11 125/75  Olmetec 10mg

TSH - 7/10 5.1, 2/11 8.73  Thyroxine 25mg

http://79.170.42.2/diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.