dsf logo October 31, 2014, 10:53pm
Welcome, Guest.

Please note: This is the archive forum, for information only. Please visit the new forum

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    News, views and opinions    Off topic  ›  BEWARE 'SECURITY TOOL' VIRUS!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

BEWARE 'SECURITY TOOL' VIRUS! Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
July 13, 2010, 9:14am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Be careful if you are looking at low carb websites! I was looking through some last night, and for my troubles picked up a flipping virus on the PC. It's called 'Security Tool', a very aggressive and resistant rogue anti spyware programme, 'malware' or 'scareware', which is causing all sorts of havoc. Has anyone heard of this? We worked on it all evening to try to get rid of it but no way will it go. Apparently Norton Anti Virus won't touch it, and we've got something installed called 'Avast Antivirus', which hasn't done anything. It is causing me problems on the forum; I can't get into my emails, and keeps shutting programmes down etc. Hopefully it won't cause any permanent damage while we're working on getting shut of it. If I disappear for a while you'll know why
July 13, 2010, 9:17am Report to Moderator
Guest User
have you tired melwere that is very good
E-mail Reply: 1 - 46
July 13, 2010, 11:08am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219
Be careful if you are looking at low carb websites! I was looking through some last night, and for my troubles picked up a flipping virus on the PC. It's called 'Security Tool', a very aggressive and resistant rogue anti spyware programme, 'malware' or 'scareware', which is causing all sorts of havoc. Has anyone heard of this? We worked on it all evening to try to get rid of it but no way will it go. Apparently Norton Anti Virus won't touch it, and we've got something installed called 'Avast Antivirus', which hasn't done anything. It is causing me problems on the forum; I can't get into my emails, and keeps shutting programmes down etc. Hopefully it won't cause any permanent damage while we're working on getting shut of it. If I disappear for a while you'll know why

See if this helps: http://www.malwarebytes.org
E-mail Reply: 2 - 46
July 13, 2010, 12:18pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 256

See if this helps: http://www.malwarebytes.org

Thanks for that, Alan. We probably will try this and see what happens, but unfortunately loads of people are saying that it never removes it permanently; it's just so aggressive. You think it's gone then it returns. But it's worth trying anyway. I'll wait til my husband gets home, because if I do anything myself and we get any more problems I don't think I will be very popular
E-mail Reply: 3 - 46
July 13, 2010, 12:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 71
have you tired melwere that is very good

Thanks, Sami.....do you mean what Alan mentioned? If so, as I say, we will try it. I'll update as to what's happening.

E-mail Reply: 4 - 46
July 13, 2010, 4:23pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
yes thats the one i mean hubby and teenager even my mother have all had there pc render useless from virus and all 3 times this had worked and got rid of what ever it was when Norton has been useless every time
E-mail Reply: 5 - 46
July 13, 2010, 6:54pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
We had Norton at one time, not only did it not stop a lot of the stuff that's bad, it often stopped people emailing photos to us.  Our friends aren't that flipping ugly!

Never did find out what it was actually any good for?
E-mail Reply: 6 - 46
July 13, 2010, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I use F-Prot antivirus which is available from http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/, $29 for 5 computers.  I've used it over 10 years and never has it let a virus into my computer - it's picked plenty up and blocked them, but it's not intrusive like Norton is.

I did have some problems a while back that I thought were a virus, but it turned out to be IP problems with the router on the home network.  I used Malaware bytes then and it is indeed very good.
E-mail Reply: 7 - 46
July 13, 2010, 9:10pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
A lot of viruses/root-kits are very hard to erradicate with just an anti-virus program. I got a virus some months ago and had to first of all stop it running, then had to dig about in the bowels of the hard-drive to manually remove it.  A lot of viruses do call for some sort of manual intervention combined with a tool like malwarebytes.

manual instructions of the 'security tool virus' are Here, Here, Here

Some viruses prevent you installing or running malwarebytes if you are already infected.

Good Luck Eye Doc, let us know how you get on.

Ziggy
;
;
;
E-mail Reply: 8 - 46
July 13, 2010, 10:30pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686
A lot of viruses/root-kits are very hard to erradicate with just an anti-virus program. I got a virus some months ago and had to first of all stop it running, then had to dig about in the bowels of the hard-drive to manually remove it.  A lot of viruses do call for some sort of manual intervention combined with a tool like malwarebytes.

manual instructions of the 'security tool virus' are Here, Here, Here

Some viruses prevent you installing or running malwarebytes if you are already infected.

Good Luck Eye Doc, let us know how you get on.

Ziggy
;
;
;

Phew.....there is a real battle of wits going on here. It's really tiring, mentally. Ziggy, you've got it in one. We just can't install any antivirus programmes to even try to deal with this thing. I've tried several times to install Malwarebytes but no can do. It seems to know you are trying to kick its backside out, and protects itself.

I'm so flaming angry at the people who do this. We can't get into our email accounts, and things just aren't working properly at all. I can't get into most websites. I know it's trivial, but I can't change the colour of my font to blue like I usually do. There are lots of things that aren't working properly.

I managed to get rid of the unwelcome icons on the desktop, and to stop all the almost constant popups it kept sending out. That was done by following fairly simple instructions on how to do it manually; most people saying very similar things in forums.  Unfortunately, it's still active, and, as I say, making it almost impossible to do things properly.

Thanks for those links. You are right, this has got to be done manually, and digging it out sounds the right way to put it. I knew about the bleepingcomputer one, and printed the instructions out this morning. Trouble is, a lot of it is going over our heads, so this is going to take some time.

Will report to let you know what's happening.
E-mail Reply: 9 - 46
July 13, 2010, 10:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
A lot of the instructions can be very daunting for the 'not so techie', but if you follow the instructions slowly and take your time, you'll get rid of it.

Sounds a bit similar to what I caught a few months ago, the one I caught slowed my laptop to a crawl as well.

Fingers crossed for you. Have you recently backed your PC up. Will it let you do a system restore?

Ziggy
;
;
;
E-mail Reply: 10 - 46
July 14, 2010, 7:13am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219
, and we've got something installed called 'Avast Antivirus', which hasn't done anything.  

Avast has a boot time scan function that will scan your computer before it fully boots up ...

1. left click on the orange ball in the status bar
2.  Click on "open user interface"
3.  click on "scan computer"
4.  click on  "boot time scan"
5.  click on "schedule now"

and let it reboot system and scan I have been using Avast for about 4 years never had any probs with it and it has stopped anything trying to infect my system. HTH
E-mail Reply: 11 - 46
July 14, 2010, 7:17am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686
A lot of the instructions can be very daunting for the 'not so techie', but if you follow the instructions slowly and take your time, you'll get rid of it.

Sounds a bit similar to what I caught a few months ago, the one I caught slowed my laptop to a crawl as well.

Fingers crossed for you. Have you recently backed your PC up. Will it let you do a system restore?

Ziggy
;
;
;

No.....unfortunately haven't backed up the PC. Another lesson learned. Otherwise I think we'd probably ditch this one and move on. Can't do anything like that now as obviously this infection could be anywhere and it'll just get into the new one. Can't do a system restore, hubby tried that a few times last night. Can we download Malwarebytes or any other programme from another computer onto a CD and try things that way? Has anyone heard of Vipre and tried it?
E-mail Reply: 12 - 46
July 14, 2010, 7:21am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 31

Avast has a boot time scan function that will scan your computer before it fully boots up ...

1. left click on the orange ball in the status bar
2.  Click on "open user interface"
3.  click on "scan computer"
4.  click on  "boot time scan"
5.  click on "schedule now"

and let it reboot system and scan I have been using Avast for about 4 years never had any probs with it and it has stopped anything trying to infect my system. HTH

Thanks for that, Rod. Another thing we didn't realise. Am learning fast here, which is no bad thing. Have done what you said; let's see how we go from here.
E-mail Reply: 13 - 46
July 14, 2010, 11:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 31

Avast doesn't handle this virus Rod. This virus masquerades as a genuine anti virus software and when you run it, it installs itself on your PC and tries to convince you to delete genuine system files which it claims are viruses. It also prevents many genuine anti-virus programs from running.  Removal is done manually. But having said that, I use Avast too. It prevents many other viruses.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 14 - 46
July 14, 2010, 11:42am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

No.....unfortunately haven't backed up the PC. Another lesson learned. Otherwise I think we'd probably ditch this one and move on. Can't do anything like that now as obviously this infection could be anywhere and it'll just get into the new one. Can't do a system restore, hubby tried that a few times last night. Can we download Malwarebytes or any other programme from another computer onto a CD and try things that way? Has anyone heard of Vipre and tried it?

How are you doing with the manual removal EyeDoc?  There is another step by step removal guide Here which has links to explain how to do each process. Just follow the the step by step guide you don't need the detection program (you already know you have the virus)

Vipre is another antivirus software, I haven't used it or read any reviews.

Found this advice too (BTW MBAM = malwarebytes anti malware)

Quoted Text
Hello try these..
Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Fingers crossed.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 15 - 46
July 14, 2010, 12:48pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

How are you doing with the manual removal EyeDoc?  There is another step by step removal guide Here which has links to explain how to do each process. Just follow the the step by step guide you don't need the detection program (you already know you have the virus)

This might be interesting. I've managed to get rid of parts of the virus, but it's the other bits that I'm trying to find. I know it's something to do with the registry entries but before yesterday that meant nothing to me. This will give me more confidence to deal with it. I'm very worried about deleting something that's nothing to do with the virus and that I'll cause yet more problems.

Yes, we've got to try Malwarebytes at some point. I've got to get my son to download it on his computer. There are varying reports, some good some bad, but it won't hurt to try it as another means of getting to this little blighter.

Fingers crossed.

Thank you. It's going to be long winded as I'm having to learn as I go along.

E-mail Reply: 16 - 46
July 14, 2010, 12:56pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

Avast doesn't handle this virus Rod. This virus masquerades as a genuine anti virus software and when you run it, it installs itself on your PC and tries to convince you to delete genuine system files which it claims are viruses. It also prevents many genuine anti-virus programs from running.  Removal is done manually. But having said that, I use Avast too. It prevents many other viruses.

The thing is, Ziggy, I didn't actually 'run' it. I'm not sure how you are meaning that? I just clicked on a very innocent looking site and wham it was there in my face. It was just annoying at first, then when I realised that it wasn't just another pop up and was something more serious the damage was done. Avast didn't stop it, didn't even warn me in any way. Having said that, Avast has been good with other things and I wouldn't stop using it. I don't think any antivirus software is 100% effective against everything out there.

E-mail Reply: 17 - 46
July 14, 2010, 1:26pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I sympathise with you Maureen.

My OH had exactly the same problem about 2 months ago. He finally got malwarebytes on to his computer and managed to remove it but
it did take him the best part of a day. We have 2 computers at home so I was lucky enough to be able to download it onto a USB drive and
he could just install and run it. It's a nasty thing, our CA antivirus didn't stop this one.

I hope you get it sorted soon.
E-mail Reply: 18 - 46
July 14, 2010, 2:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

This might be interesting. I've managed to get rid of parts of the virus, but it's the other bits that I'm trying to find. I know it's something to do with the registry entries but before yesterday that meant nothing to me. This will give me more confidence to deal with it. I'm very worried about deleting something that's nothing to do with the virus and that I'll cause yet more problems.

Yes, we've got to try Malwarebytes at some point. I've got to get my son to download it on his computer. There are varying reports, some good some bad, but it won't hurt to try it as another means of getting to this little blighter.

Until you actually stop the virus program running and delete the entries from the registry it will keep happening.  I don't know how you got infected, are you the only user of the computer? However you did get infected, sadly, you are infected.

Some talk of putting malwarebytes onto a bootable CD or a bootable memory stick. There are more than one variant of the Security Tool virus and at least one of those is resistant to malwarebytes.

Have you used the tak manager to stop the running processes that being with numbers. If those are stopped you should be able to install and run malwarebytes.

Editing the registry is daunting at first Eyedoc, but the whole manual removal process IS doable. Have you any friends a bit more techie than yourself, they might be able to help?

You can download a portable version of MBAB (for a bootable memory stick) Here

Toes (not the biscuit's toes) crossed now too.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 19 - 46
July 14, 2010, 3:21pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

Until you actually stop the virus program running and delete the entries from the registry it will keep happening.  I don't know how you got infected, are you the only user of the computer? However you did get infected, sadly, you are infected.

Some talk of putting malwarebytes onto a bootable CD or a bootable memory stick. There are more than one variant of the Security Tool virus and at least one of those is resistant to malwarebytes.

Have you used the tak manager to stop the running processes that being with numbers. If those are stopped you should be able to install and run malwarebytes.

Editing the registry is daunting at first Eyedoc, but the whole manual removal process IS doable. Have you any friends a bit more techie than yourself, they might be able to help?

You can download a portable version of MBAB (for a bootable memory stick) Here

Toes (not the biscuit's toes) crossed now too.

Ziggy
;
;
;

LOL....I wondered when you might mention the cracker feet! Yes, I used task manager to stop the processes with all numbers. That has stopped the pop ups and got rid of the icons on the desk top and in the system tray. So at least we're not getting that stupid popping noise constantly! It's just that other things are happening, so until we find where all the bits are hiding, that will continue. I'm not keen on going ahead without my hubby present, because if I do anything which causes any further problems I'll be very definitely in the dog house. But we are like the blind leading the blind.

My friend's husband works with computers and seems to know them inside out, but I don't know him very well and don't fancy him coming round really, unless it gets to the point where I'm about to curl up snivelling in the foetal position. Actually, I might ring him right now.......
E-mail Reply: 20 - 46
July 14, 2010, 3:27pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 213
I sympathise with you Maureen.

My OH had exactly the same problem about 2 months ago. He finally got malwarebytes on to his computer and managed to remove it but
it did take him the best part of a day. We have 2 computers at home so I was lucky enough to be able to download it onto a USB drive and
he could just install and run it. It's a nasty thing, our CA antivirus didn't stop this one.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks, Claire, yes it's nasty. Never dealt with anything like this before. I'm surprised how many people I've heard of now who have had this. Will be getting my son to download malwarebytes tonight but it might take a couple of days for me to get it from him.

E-mail Reply: 21 - 46
July 14, 2010, 3:34pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
LOL.....I've just tried again to download Malwarebytes, and got a pop up saying I needed to install a Hebrew language pack! That's a first!
E-mail Reply: 22 - 46
July 14, 2010, 4:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219
LOL.....I've just tried again to download Malwarebytes, and got a pop up saying I needed to install a Hebrew language pack! That's a first!

Where are you trying to download it from EyeDoc, you shouldn't need a language pack to download a file? Are you sure it's a genuine pop-up?

I can understand your apprehension, but you are going to have to remove all the registry entries and the extra bits and pieces the program has installed. Take your time and go through the instructions slowly.

Ziggy
;
;
;
E-mail Reply: 23 - 46
July 14, 2010, 5:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

Just downloaded Malwarebytes from their home page Here EyeDoc - which actually redirects you to Cnet downloads for the download, and installed, no mention of Hebrew language packs, and I know I don't have the Hebrew language pack installed.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 24 - 46
July 14, 2010, 6:22pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

Just downloaded Malwarebytes from their home page Here EyeDoc - which actually redirects you to Cnet downloads for the download, and installed, no mention of Hebrew language packs, and I know I don't have the Hebrew language pack installed.

That's where I tried to download it from, Ziggy. Oh, no, I don't think it was a genuine pop up at all; it was probably this thingy playing mind games with me! It just made me laugh. I'm not getting it now, but it still won't download. My son is going to do it on his computer tonight.

I know that we've got to go through this bit by bit, and we will do it. We just want to try Malwarebytes as well. Surely everything like this will help? It can't do any harm, anyway.
E-mail Reply: 25 - 46
July 14, 2010, 9:18pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

That's where I tried to download it from, Ziggy. Oh, no, I don't think it was a genuine pop up at all; it was probably this thingy playing mind games with me! It just made me laugh. I'm not getting it now, but it still won't download. My son is going to do it on his computer tonight.

I know that we've got to go through this bit by bit, and we will do it. We just want to try Malwarebytes as well. Surely everything like this will help? It can't do any harm, anyway.

Sounds like your pet virus playing up. Tell me, when you turn off and turn on the computer does the virus reappear? Sounds like it if it isn't letting you download etc.  Or maybe the registry entries are calling programs into play on start-up.

Malwarebytes is no bad idea, you don't absolutely need it to remove this bug but t'would do no harm. Just looking at the bleepingcomputer instructions Here and they seem quite followable.

Toes are sore from being crossed all day, plus they were sore before so ..... I have to uncross them now.

Ziggy
;
;
;
E-mail Reply: 26 - 46
July 15, 2010, 8:41am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Ziggy, I am sorry about your toes, I'll let you uncross them now. I don't want you to suffer for the sake of my pc lol. Or my sanity more like. I'd prefer that you walked normally lol.

When we turn on the pc, there is no obvious sign that the virus is still there, as all the pop ups have now gone, but the Sky home page won't load properly, and it's touch and go as to whether we get the desktop picture or not. That disappears randomly. I know I'm hopping mad, but I have a strange respect for the actual cleverness of these 'humans' who can do this. Only the cleverness itself you understand....I'm not for one minute condoning the havoc they cause. Shame they can't put this cleverness to better use.

I still can't get into my email account, can't use Youtube, can't download anything, can't do various things on the forum and other things like that. It's just useable. However, it's no slower than usual, thank goodness, it's slow enough anyway. I almost wish my hubby would suggest getting a new one, but no luck there.

I printed out the bleepingcomputer instructions; I really want to do this. My husband took them up to read while he was in the bath and promptly dropped them in the water. I cannot reveal on here what I thought. Soooooooo......I am going to remain dignified, and print them out yet again. It's my husband who is reluctant to do it; we know it can be risky, but I'd certainly have a bash. He wants to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Something strange happened last night....I did find some strange files in the registry, all numbers, and deleted them. When I checked the recycle bin, they weren't there. Then when I went back to registry, they were in a different folder. If that was definitely the virus, I find that quite scary. My husband reckons not everything goes to the recycle bin after deletion.....surely that's not right? I think he's petrified of me deleting very important stuff, and I am worried myself to be honest. But I'll still have a go at it. This feels like a duel! Bring it on!!
E-mail Reply: 27 - 46
July 15, 2010, 9:15am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219
When we turn on the pc, there is no obvious sign that the virus is still there, as all the pop ups have now gone, but the Sky home page won't load properly, and it's touch and go as to whether we get the desktop picture or not. That disappears randomly. I know I'm hopping mad, but I have a strange respect for the actual cleverness of these 'humans' who can do this. Only the cleverness itself you understand....I'm not for one minute condoning the havoc they cause. Shame they can't put this cleverness to better use.

I still can't get into my email account, can't use Youtube, can't download anything, can't do various things on the forum and other things like that. It's just useable. However, it's no slower than usual, thank goodness, it's slow enough anyway. I almost wish my hubby would suggest getting a new one, but no luck there.

Sounds as if the virus is still active. You can check by holding Ctrl, Alt and Del - this opens Task Manager - click the processes tab and see if the blighter 39485853tc.exe is still there. You have to do the whole removal thing/processes in one go, you can't start them and finish them later.  It does look quite a daunting process especially the installation of Malwarebytes if the virus is deleting it. But, it can be done EyeDoc.

Quoted from 219
I printed out the bleepingcomputer instructions; I really want to do this. My husband took them up to read while he was in the bath and promptly dropped them in the water. I cannot reveal on here what I thought. Soooooooo......I am going to remain dignified, and print them out yet again. It's my husband who is reluctant to do it; we know it can be risky, but I'd certainly have a bash. He wants to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Two copies of important things EyeDoc LOL - freudian slip (of the pages into the bath)

Quoted from 219
Something strange happened last night....I did find some strange files in the registry, all numbers, and deleted them. When I checked the recycle bin, they weren't there. Then when I went back to registry, they were in a different folder. If that was definitely the virus, I find that quite scary. My husband reckons not everything goes to the recycle bin after deletion.....surely that's not right? I think he's petrified of me deleting very important stuff, and I am worried myself to be honest. But I'll still have a go at it. This feels like a duel! Bring it on!!

No not everything goes into the recycle bin, in fact by using a key combination you can bypass the recycle bin altogether - I did that acidentally whilst deleting what I though was one email but it was my whole email folder - gone - talk about fun trying to get that back bleep bleep bleep.

The registry stores the same files in two or three different folders - just the way it works.

Bleeping computer mentions an rkill program - what this does is stop the virus running - same as you going to task manager, processes, right clicking the 4874???.exe and click stop process. That is the first step. This does not delete the actual program from your PC, you need to do the other steps to eradicate it completely. If you stopped after that and switched your PC off and on again, the bits in the registry bring the program to life again at start-up - so all the steps must be completed in sequence at the same time Eye Doc.

I've fallen foul of some bad viruses myself and have had to fix some friend's PCs - and this is not the worst virus (removal wise - that I've seen). Pretty nasty though.

Like your gung-ho, bring it on, attitude.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 28 - 46
July 15, 2010, 9:46am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Well...it's a bit of hard luck now then, as part of the removal process has been done. I found out about starting the pc in safe mode, bringing up task manager and deleting the process with all the numbers. Did that bit. That's what stopped the pop ups etc. I did read on one forum (before posting on here) that that was all that was needed. There seemed to be so many different ways of doing it. There's nothing in the task manager now. I've got to find the other bits lurking around, so it's got to be done separately.

I did see the rkill program; it said I'd got to download that and I can't to this computer. But, as I've already deleted it myself from task manager, can I skip that bit now? If I still need it, then I've got to get my son to download it, and we have got to get some CD's as we've run out
E-mail Reply: 29 - 46
July 15, 2010, 12:03pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219
Well...it's a bit of hard luck now then, as part of the removal process has been done. I found out about starting the pc in safe mode, bringing up task manager and deleting the process with all the numbers. Did that bit. That's what stopped the pop ups etc. I did read on one forum (before posting on here) that that was all that was needed. There seemed to be so many different ways of doing it. There's nothing in the task manager now. I've got to find the other bits lurking around, so it's got to be done separately.

I did see the rkill program; it said I'd got to download that and I can't to this computer. But, as I've already deleted it myself from task manager, can I skip that bit now? If I still need it, then I've got to get my son to download it, and we have got to get some CD's as we've run out

The task manager only stops the program running EyeDoc, doesn't delete it from your computer. Maybe you have deleted it - but not via the TaskManager route.  You'll need the Malwarebytes now, as it must have left registry entries and other nasties scattered about, have you done the removing registry files. BTW what operating system are you running? XP, Vista, Windows 7?

From this manual removal instructions Here I can see at least two other places that Security Tools stores its nasties on your PC - these instructions are very concise but don't seem half as daunting as BleepingComputers.

The same manual instuctions plus how to perform them are found Here.

How are these computer woes effecting your BGs (hope not as much as they are effecting mine LOL). How sad to lie in bed, sleepless, thinking about someone else's computer problems - how SAD is that ???

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 30 - 46
July 15, 2010, 1:16pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

The task manager only stops the program running EyeDoc, doesn't delete it from your computer. Maybe you have deleted it - but not via the TaskManager route.  You'll need the Malwarebytes now, as it must have left registry entries and other nasties scattered about, have you done the removing registry files. BTW what operating system are you running? XP, Vista, Windows 7?

From this manual removal instructions Here I can see at least two other places that Security Tools stores its nasties on your PC - these instructions are very concise but don't seem half as daunting as BleepingComputers.

The same manual instuctions plus how to perform them are found Here.

How are these computer woes effecting your BGs (hope not as much as they are effecting mine LOL). How sad to lie in bed, sleepless, thinking about someone else's computer problems - how SAD is that ???

Right, I understand more now about Task Manager. We've got XP.

I've got that Techjaws stuff printed out. The problem is, it gives you the name of these files, but when I try to find them they just aren't there where they say they will be. I'll get so far but come to a dead end, every time. In fact that's the case with all the instructions I've had. Things just aren't there. And it's so frustrating. I've not seen the WindowsXP/Vista blog, that looks interesting.

My wonderful son has gone and forgotten to bring the CD with the Malwarbytes prog on it, so we've got to wait another day or so to get it :/

I'm sorry to task you like this, Ziggy. I really hope you're not lying there thinking of other ways of tackling this thing. Strangely enough, I'm having really low levels compared to recently, so maybe it's got into my system and is having a good effect!

Tell you what, I'll stop posting about it while we're sorting it, how's that? You can have a welcome break from viruses!

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but hey I am a bit stupid when it comes to computers, but I can't infect anyone throught the forum, can I? And also, if I restore the computer to a few days before the virus, will the forum go back to how it was at that time? Last question, I promise.
E-mail Reply: 31 - 46
July 15, 2010, 2:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
LOL Maureen - the answer is, only on your computer!

In other words, you restore, then open the forum, which will be exactly how it is the moment you open it.  However if you click 'View All Unread' it will bring up all new posts since the date/time in the past you happen to have restored to.

If I were you I'd then click 'Mark everything read' LOL
E-mail Reply: 32 - 46
July 15, 2010, 2:34pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 17
LOL Maureen - the answer is, only on your computer!

In other words, you restore, then open the forum, which will be exactly how it is the moment you open it.  However if you click 'View All Unread' it will bring up all new posts since the date/time in the past you happen to have restored to.

If I were you I'd then click 'Mark everything read' LOL

I meant on my computer lol.....otherwise imagine the power someone could have, to keep putting the forum back a few days, just for fun ha ha.

Right, will do as you suggest. Thanks.
E-mail Reply: 33 - 46
July 15, 2010, 3:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

Tell you what, I'll stop posting about it while we're sorting it, how's that? You can have a welcome break from viruses!

Whatever, you can always PM me if you have a question - we must be boring the whole forum to death - or sending them to sleep anyway.

Forum should stay the same, messages you have read should stay read

Ziggy
;
;
;
]

E-mail Reply: 34 - 46
July 15, 2010, 4:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'm finding it quite fascinating.  Hubby's PC slowed almost to a dead halt and I said I'd get the IT bloke from work to look at it.  J said "No, don't want to spend any money on it, cos it's old and not very powerful (useless small HD etc)" and so I said "well, use the laptop then", principally cos I was in chat and couldn't be bothered to faff around.  Now since he's had his mitts on it,  the laptop - which was initially bought for me to take on holidays so I could stay in touch - is so slow I cannot use it and he's struggling, but will he let me bring it to the IT chap at work?  No, because we may have to have a whole new system soon and we haven't decided what we want!  Grrr... I may just spend some time tonight scanning the laptop to see what's up!  Cos principally it may not be the latest and greatest but it's a perfectly serviceable and usable laptop that is fast enough for any normal person when it's working properly.

So I'm wondering if he's caught sommat similar.
E-mail Reply: 35 - 46
July 15, 2010, 6:39pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Oh crikey, Patti, I hope not. Be prepared for a few swear words (from both of you) if you have! I've had to think up new swear words, because I've run out of run of the mill ones. I just wish I wasn't such a clutz with these things. Good luck.....I hope it's nothing serious!
E-mail Reply: 36 - 46
July 15, 2010, 6:42pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I can't even restore the PC to a few days before It just won't let me. Anyone got a new swear word??
E-mail Reply: 37 - 46
July 15, 2010, 6:45pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686

Whatever, you can always PM me if you have a question - we must be boring the whole forum to death - or sending them to sleep anyway.

Thanks Ziggy.....you might just regret you said that lol

E-mail Reply: 38 - 46
July 15, 2010, 7:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
FWIW I know EXACTLY how you feel Maureen.  Not so long ago I was tearing my hair out because I couldn't access the internet on my own PC at home (yes, we have 2 PCs and a laptop - there'd be major mayhem if we had to share since we are both online all evening).  I actually thought it was a virus, it transpired that the IP addresses were getting muddled by the router.  After nearly a week of swearing we removed the router and tried a different one, which didn't work, but at least turning the original one off for an hour re-set it and bingo, all was fine, but meantime handfuls of hair littered the floor and the air was blue!  We've now made sure that we have static IPs for the machines on the network (which includes a wireless printer which caused all the trouble in the lst place).
E-mail Reply: 39 - 46
July 15, 2010, 11:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 219

Whatever, you can always PM me if you have a question Thanks Ziggy.....you might just regret you said that lol

Did you get my PM Eye Doc? Having to ask sorta defeats the purpose of PMs though (though if PM stood for Prime Minister - there is no real purpose LOL)

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 40 - 46
July 16, 2010, 8:13am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Yay!!! I tentatively think it's sorted! I've got my smileys and my colour back! And I can use Youtube, Facebook, get into my email account, and the Sky homepage is loading properly. It's looking good.

It was basically following all sorts of bits of advice really, off people on here (thankyou everyone who chipped in to help!) and plugging away at digging all the roots of this nasty thing out. I've had to take a deep breath before deleting some things, but I don't think I've done any harm, and I've always ok'd it with hubby before doing it, so he can take the blame if the thing died on us lol. I've certainly learnt a lot about how computers work now. I didn't know such a thing as the registry existed before this, and found out what task manager is exactly, and how to use it.

We got rid of Avast AV and have installed something called AVG, which my husband had recommended to him. It did pick up some things which Avast didn't, but I'm not sure about it as it hasn't got good reviews, so I'm going to have a look for a better antivirus program.

We will still be trying Malwarebytes hopefully later today too, so after that we should be home and dry.

I feel like dancing all day long! And I think a small slice of pound cake is warranted!
E-mail Reply: 41 - 46
July 16, 2010, 9:14am Report to Moderator
Guest User
thank goodness for that i'm so pleased for you that would be my worst night mare
E-mail Reply: 42 - 46
July 16, 2010, 9:34am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Fingers crossed for you IDOC that it's all sorted. Great news!!
E-mail Reply: 43 - 46
July 16, 2010, 9:43am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Gor my fingers crossed too!
E-mail Reply: 44 - 46
July 16, 2010, 10:42am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Wouldn't recommend AVG to anyone Eye Doc, maybe Avira, or Microsoft Secutiry Essentials (both free programs), combined with Malwarebytes. BTW, never install more than one antivirus on your system at the same time - they don't get on with each other and can cause problems with system stability.

Ziggy
;
;
;

E-mail Reply: 45 - 46
July 16, 2010, 11:46am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 686
Wouldn't recommend AVG to anyone Eye Doc, maybe Avira, or Microsoft Secutiry Essentials (both free programs), combined with Malwarebytes. BTW, never install more than one antivirus on your system at the same time - they don't get on with each other and can cause problems with system stability.

Right, that's all I need to know. I'll tell hubby. Yes, when we installed AVG we had to uninstall Avast first as AVG wouldn't proceed before we did that.
E-mail Reply: 46 - 46
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Diabetes Support Forum UK    News, views and opinions    Off topic  ›  BEWARE 'SECURITY TOOL' VIRUS!

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.