dsf logo April 19, 2014, 12:43am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Diabetes Support Forum UK    Diabetes topics: closed to new messages. Visit the new forum (link above)    Health, fitness and sport  ›  Consuming protein shakes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Consuming protein shakes Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Onerous
December 20, 2009, 8:42pm Report to Moderator
Well looking to do some muscle building and been advised to consume protein shakes as an aid to increase muscle.

Was wondering if anyone else used these muscle building shakes or if you did what was your experience to your bg levels.

Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Avocado
December 21, 2009, 9:26am Report to Moderator

Hi,

When I do my weight lifting workout (twice a week) I eat a good protein breakfast a couple of hours beforehand and then after the workout I have a protein 'smoothie/shake' which I make myself - I do not buy one of those ready made shakes as they are too high in carbs. I make my own using Power Sport's whey protein isolate powder natural flavour  (I buy it from a health food shop or internet) which only contains 1g carbohydrate per 100g powder...to make a shake you only need 40g powder. With a handheld liquidizer I mix the powder with some water, some frozen berries which I've defrosted and three raw eggs (organic free range so they're safe). It makes a brilliant and nutritious protein 'shake'. and is my lunch for that day. It doesn't seem to affect my BG when I've been weight lifting and I seem to tolerate the whey protein isolate very well.

Anne

Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g/day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg.
Also Osteoporosis, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis - Strontium Ranelate 2g, Omacor 2g, Dekristol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every other week, vitamin K2 90mcg

Current HbA1c 5.4 Current total cholesterol 8.2, HDL 3, LDL 5 (Iranian adjusted 3.8 ), triglycerides 0.5
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Tiger Lily
December 22, 2009, 6:50am Report to Moderator

Type 1 since 1987, no longer insulin resistant
this has been the 'standard information' for many decades

PubMed recently put out a study that completely debunked this myth

good luck

kate, type 1 LADA? Aug 21,1989
the treatment triad for diabetes is diet/exercise/meds! don't forget your exercise

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/firststeps/newdiagnosed

Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
adam
December 25, 2009, 12:14am Report to Moderator
I think I'll try that avocado.

Me, I use one of the ones that are sold at H&B. I mix it with soy milk if I have any, if not, then normal milk.
I don't notice an adverse affect on my BG's, but I've only ever used it after exercise or in the morning alongside breakfast.

What myth are you referring to Tiger Lily?

T1
Dx'd 2004
Last HbA1c 5.9
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Tiger Lily
December 25, 2009, 8:44am Report to Moderator

Type 1 since 1987, no longer insulin resistant
oh, sorry Adam

the report i read indicated that protein and protein supplements do NOT promote muscle development............. it's those 'free veggies, fresh fruits, colourful foods' that are so good for us

i can see the logic of a long distance runner 'carbing up' before a race, as that contributes/increases the glycogen stores in the liver, but obviously this isn't a good idea for a diabetic

hope this helps?

kate, type 1 LADA? Aug 21,1989
the treatment triad for diabetes is diet/exercise/meds! don't forget your exercise

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/firststeps/newdiagnosed

Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Avocado
December 26, 2009, 8:46am Report to Moderator

While it's true that just taking protein will not promote muscle development, if you do strength training/muscle building/ resistance training, which is anaerobic training as opposed to aerobic training, then extra protein in advance of the workout and very shortly afterwards will help build muscle.

This is what Frederick Hahn of Serious Strength and author of 'The Slow Burn', who advocates a low carb diet, low carb whether or not a person is diabetic, advises:

Quoted Text
Eat Before You Train
by FRED HAHN on MARCH 5, 2009
A growing body of evidence suggests that eating a quality protein rich meal or drinking a protein shake before and after your workout will significantly improve your results.

According to Dr. Jeff Volek, author of the TNT diet:

"In
respect to the pre and post-workout nutrition, I think the research is clear
that protein is most important for stimulating a positive protein balance.
Additional carbs is not necessary and may only offer a small benefit to protein
anabolism which in my opinion is not worth the trade off with the potent effects
of the carb-induced insulin spike on inhibiting fat breakdown and fat oxidation.
I’d recommend trying to get a pre-exercise elevation in plasma amino acids by
ingesting some fast absorbing aminos or a hydrolyzed whey protein. Post-workout
may not be such a concern on the absorption profile, as most proteins will work
fine to stimulate protein synthesis."

Personally, I have gained some added muscle mass sticking to this plan over several months. So don't waste your efforts when hitting the weights. Get some protein in your gut mixed with some fat for better absorption.

Here's what I do before and after my workout (I have little fat to lose. Those who wish to maximize fat loss omit the carbs):

24 oz. of water
2 tablespoons fish oil or two tablets or Krill oil (careful taking this if you are on blood thinners)
1 table spoon liquid aminos
1 scoop of Ultra InflamX (15 grams carbs and protein)
30 grams protein powder

http://slowburnfitness.com/eat-before-you-train/comment-page-1/

Dr Doug McGuff of 'Ultimate Body Science', another body building trainer/doctor, who again advocates low carb would advise similar I think. I certainly find that extra protein before and just after my workout makes a big difference to my muscle development.

Anne

Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g/day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg.
Also Osteoporosis, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Moderate Aortic Stenosis - Strontium Ranelate 2g, Omacor 2g, Dekristol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every other week, vitamin K2 90mcg

Current HbA1c 5.4 Current total cholesterol 8.2, HDL 3, LDL 5 (Iranian adjusted 3.8 ), triglycerides 0.5
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

COPYRIGHT ©2008-2010: All messages on this site are copyright of their authors. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without express written permission.